Martin Ahlhaus specialises in legal advice on chemicals regulation (including REACH, CLP, biocidal products, plant protection products) and on aspects of environmental Product Compliance (including WEEE, RoHS, Eco-Design, Packaging Act).
He advises companies on the necessary administrative procedures before the European Chemicals Agency (“ECHA”) in Helsinki and before national administrative authorities. His services also include representation of companies before national and European courts and special tribunals such as the Board of Appeal of the European Chemicals Agency.
Martin Ahlhaus has for many years advised consortia and businesses in structuring data and costs sharing agreements and supporting the negotiation of such agreements.
In addition, structuring and implementing projects in the area of Product Compliance and Product Stewardship forms an essential part of his work. He advises businesses on company internal organisation including interaction with suppliers and customers in order to minimise liability risks.
He advises companies and trade associations at national and European level in advance of statutory amendments e.g. in public consultation processes, conducts direct consultative discussions with the EU Commission or supports decision-making processes in the relevant boards and committees.
Martin Ahlhaus is the only legal advisor in Germany certified by the Austrian Chamber of Commerce as a REACH Multiplier. Martin Ahlhaus is a member of various expert groups on REACH at level of the Federation of German Industries e.V. (BDI) and his expertise has, for many years, been widely acknowledged, for example as follows:
- 2019 - Peer recognition 2020 Best Lawyer (Germany/Environmental Law).
- 2018 - Who‘s Who Legal, Environment 2018, featured leading environmental
- 2017 - Who‘s Who Legal, Germany 2017: “one of the top practitioners in the market”.
- 2016 - Who‘s Who Legal, Environment 2016: considered leader in the field in
- 2015 - Who‘s Who Legal, Germany 2015: “key name“ in environmental
- 2014 - Who‘s Who Legal, Germany 2014: “one of the best in the country“.
Martin Ahlhaus is a member of the Editorial Board of the periodical "ICRL - International Chemical Regulatory and Law Review".
- Training as civil servant in higher non-technical administrative service of the City of Pforzheim and at the University of Applied Sciences Ludwigsburg, degree in public administration (FH)
- Legal studies at the University of Augsburg with subsequent legal clerkship in Augsburg, Memmingen and Kempten
- Working as lawyer for more than 15 years in an international law firm in Munich with a special focus on European economic and environmental law
- 2019 founding partner of the Produktkanzlei
- Das Batteriegesetz 2021 - Erläuterungen, Änderungen, Rechtstexte, 2nd edition 2021 (with Michael Öttinger)
- Gefahrstoffverordnung: Neue Anforderungen für die Verwendung von Biozidprodukten, ARP 2021, p. 326 et seq.
- Dossier Updates During Dossier Evaluation: ECHA’s New Approach (with Michael Öttinger), ICRL 4/2019, p. 179 et seq.
- REACH: Risiken für nachgeschaltete Anwender durch fehlerhafte Einstufung und Kennzeichnung - abrufbar unter: IBF-Fachbeiträge
- General Court: Further clarification on SVHC status of Bisphenol A (with Michael Öttinger), ICRL 3/2019, p. 136 et seq.
- Die neue EU-Kosmetikverordnung: Weitreichende Änderungen für Hersteller und Händler von Kosmetika ab Juli 2013 (with Evelyn Schulz), JUST 1/2013
- Die Gefahrstoffverordnung 2010 – Neue Pflichten und verändertes Haftungsregime beim Umgang mit CMR-Stoffen (with Christian Mayer and Dr. Carsten Schucht), StoffR 6/2011, p. 231 et seq.
- RoHS reloaded – Neue CE-Pflichten für Elektrogeräte (with Sebastian Woschech), CE-Newsletter, 9/2011
- Die neue RoHS-Richtlinie – Auswirkungen für die Praxis (with Christian Mayer), StoffR 5/2011, p. 209 et seq.